Recent days has seen a huge rise in the number of break-ins in houses. We often hear about thugs who forcefully entered homes and robbed it, often with casualties to the home-owners. Security cameras may also be necessary to keep an eye on children, senior people and pets, especially when you are away from home a long time. Security cameras may be installed indoors or outdoors.
Most apartments, nowadays, come with pre-installed security cameras. However, they are mostly installed in corridors, stairways and elevators, i.e., not in the personal apartment area. This makes sense as a flat-owner will obviously not want their private lives to be viewed by an outsider. So, they must install their own surveillance cameras inside their homes, since flats are high-risk areas for robberies and burglaries. But that does not mean house-owners should give any slack. They too should keep in mind the need for the all-time watchful eye on their homes. Installing surveillance cameras inside and outside their homes will insure them against forced entries to a large extent.
Homes aren’t the only places that require security, of course. Shops, malls, banks, hospitals, schools, even roads – any public place warrants the use of security cameras due to the fact that in case any crime or accident happens, it will be easy to find out what really occurred in that place.
Types of Security Cameras
There are a really large number of camera types a person can choose from. Each camera serves different purposes and hence, caters to different priorities of people. These types are as follows:
- Box Camera – They come in a rectangular shape and are large in size. They allow for customization of the lens. They can be used for both indoor and outdoor security solutions.
- Dome Camera – They come in dome shape with ceiling mounts and a one-way view mirror covering, that makes it highly vandal-proof. They are most popular in the retail sector.
- Bullet Camera – These are the long, cylindrical types that we are most familiar with in parking lots and outdoor areas. They are usually weather-proof and have a long but fixed viewing length.
- PTZ Camera – PTZ stands for Pan, Tilt and Zoom. From the name itself, it is apparent that in these cameras, the lens can be panned, tilted and zoomed by remote control. They are mostly used for live monitoring purposes.
- Day/Night Camera – They are mostly used outdoors for round-the-clock security. They can function well in both high light situations with glares and reflections, as well as in low light conditions using high sensitivity imaging.
- IP Camera – IP or Network cameras can digitally transmit their recordings over the Internet. They are highly useful in indoor regions when you need to keep a place under 24/7 surveillance while you are away.
- Infrared Camera – These are the night vision or thermal cameras that use IR to capture heat images in poor or zero light conditions. They are useful mainly in roadsides, wooded areas and backyards, as they are able to capture clear images in darkness, smoke and fog.
- Wireless Camera – Wireless can refer to either wireless data transmission only, or wire-free data as well as power facility. They can connect over wireless technologies such ass Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc.
You may also check – Best & Top DSLR Cameras in India
Best Security Cameras in India
India is one of the countries with a pretty high crime rate. So it is essential to ensure one’s security in all circumstances with the best security cameras available. Some of the most popular in the market are as follows:
1. D3D D8810 HD 720P Wi-Fi Home Security Camera PTZ 360
D3D is one of the most high-quality brands when it comes to security cameras not only in India but in the world too. It has a unique solution against vandalism, where it stores recordings on an FTP server that is accessible even if the camera is broken or stolen. Besides such cloud storage, it also supports SD card of memory upto 128GB.
With the help of a smartphone app, it can be remotely controlled to rotate 360° both horizontally and vertically. It has an infrared lens for HD night vision upto 10 metres, and comes with motion detectors that will send an email alert the moment any motion is detected. It also has a 2-way video chat system with built-in speaker and microphone,which gives it baby monitor features.Multiple users can be logged into it for greater control and better use.
Features of D3D D8810 HD 720P Wi-Fi Home Security Camera PTZ 360
- The dimensions of the camera is 14 x 12 x 14 cm and its weight is 99.8 g.
- Compatible OS is Android and iOS and compatible devices are Android, Apple and PC.
- It has inbuilt memory card slot of 128 GB.
- Number of lenses provided is 1.
- It has a 2X optical zoom.
- It has rotating angle of 355° horizontally and 110° vertically.
- Its video capture resolution is 720p.
- It connects via Wi-Fi.
2. Sricam SP Series SP005 Wireless HD IP Wi-Fi CCTV Indoor Security Camera
Sricam is another popular brand in India when it comes to surveillance cameras. It records HD quality video that can be viewed wirelessly on the Sricam app that is supported in Android and Apple. It has a motion detection system which will send you an alarm when it detects any motion in the room it is in. It has built-in IR LEDs that can record thermal images even in pitch darkness. It is also PTZ type, allowing easy, remote-controlled rotation to give visual access to all corners.
Its one-key Wi-Fi configuration helps in easy installation in a matter of minutes. The 128 GB SD card slot stores videos, that can be accessed easily via the app and can even be downloaded onto a PCC without removing the card. The 2-way microphone and speaker-enabled chat system allows you to talk to your baby, pet or an elderly in real-time.
Features of Sricam SP Series SP005 Wireless HD IP Wi-Fi CCTV
- Its dimensions are 18.9 x 15 x 12.3 cm and its weight is 558 g.
- Compatible OS includes Android and iOS while compatible devices are Android, Apple and PC.
- It has a memory card slot of 128 GB.
- It has a horizontal rotating angle of 355° and a vertical rotating angle of 90°.
- The IR LEDs have a distance range of 32 feet.
- It has wireless Wi-Fi connection of2.4 GHz.
- It captures high resolution 720p videos.
3. Mi MJSXJ02CM 360° 1080P Wi-Fi Home Security Camera
Mi has had nothing short of a meteoric rise in the electronics department and this security camera from the band adds another feather to the hat. Mi always does something extra, so it brings us a smart security camera with AI-driven motion sensors that uses deep learning algorithm to accurately determine what type of motion deserves your attention. It gives omnidirectional HD videos of 1080p in Mi’s 20 MP camera, with advanced H.265 video encoding that is able to keep the same pixel count and bit rate while using half the storage of H.264 encoding. It couples 8-bulb 940nm infrared illuminator with f2.1 aperture for clearer night vision. It has 2-way Talkback system and supports backup of videos from microSD card, of upto 64 GB storage, to NAS storage devices. Recorded videos may be played back on your phone or tablet with 2X, 4X and 16X fast forward speed. It has a mount suitable for both tabletops and ceilings.
Features of Mi MJSXJ02CM 360° 1080P Wi-Fi Home Security Camera
- Item dimensions are 7.8 x 7.8 x 11.8 cm and weight is 240 g.
- Optical sensor resolution is 2 MP.
- Optical zoom of the camera is 2X.
- Min focal length is 3.9 mm.
- Video resolution is 1080p.
- Its rotating angles give it full 360° horizontal view and 96° vertical view.
- Input power of operation is 5V , working temperature is -10°C – 50°C.
- Supported OS are Android 4.4 or above, and iOS 9.0 or above.
- It has wireless connection and self-timer.
4. Sricam SP018 2.0 MP Wireless Full HD 1080P IP Wi-Fi CCTV Indoor Security Camera
The Sricam SP series is quite trusted when it comes to security cams. The SP018 is ideal as a home and apartment security as well as nanny camera. It connects wirelessly via Wi-Fi that makes it easy to view what is going on at your home in your smartphone or tablet through the Sricam app. It can be installed in a matter of minutes by the One-key Wi-Fi configuration, and then you can view the live feed of your home any Android or iOS device.
It records crystal clear videos in1080p with its 2 MP camera. This is a day/night camera, the night vision being provided by IR with ICR filter for clever turn on and off. In-built rotating motor helps remotely control the direction of the camera from anywhere in the world. Motion detectors in the camera will sense motion and send you instant alerts over mail. It is provided with a 128 GB SD card slot and can be used as nanny cam with the built-in microphone and speaker.
Features of Sricam SP018 2.0 MP Wireless Full HD 1080P IP Wi-Fi CCTV Indoor Security Camera
- The product dimensions are 29.6 x 22 x 11.6 cm and its weight is 630 g.
- Compatible devices are tablet, PC and smartphone and compatible softwares are iOS and Android.
- It provides HD 1080p video resolution.
- Its rotating angles are 355° horizontal and 90° vertical view.
- It is powered by a 2 MP IP camera.
- It works with 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi bandwidth.
5. Hikvision DS-2CE1AD0T-IRP 2MP 1080P Full HD Night Vision Outdoor Bullet Camera
The Hikvision bullet surveillance camera is most recommended for outdoor safety solutions. Not only does it have excellent night vision, but is also weather-proof. Its plastic body houses a CMOS ECO 2 MP camera that gives high resolution 1080p analog HD. True Day/Night feature is supported by mart IR that detect up to a distance of 20 m.
It can detect till a minimum illumination of 0.01-0 lux from day to night, with the help of the f1.2 aperture. It is IP66 waterproof which makes it suitable for external use. Videos can be watched online in Android and Windows systems. For clearer and better vision, Hikvision HQHI-K1 series Turbo HD DVR can be used as the camera is totally compatible with it.
Features of Hikvision DS-2CE1AD0T-IRP 2MP 1080P Full HD Night Vision Outdoor Bullet Camera
- Product dimensions are 9 x 9 x 9 cm and its weight is 349 g.
- It has a bullet-shaped IP66 plastic body.
- It employs 3.6 mm lens with f1.2 aperture for bright images.
- Its IR vision range is 20 m.
- Its resolution is 1920 (H) x 1080 (V) pixels.
- Minimum illumination in day time is 0.01 lux and in IR vision is 0 lux.
- Compatible software are Android and Windows.
6. IFITech 1080p HD Hidden Best Security Camera
This is the perfect security camera to be used as a hidden camera. It comes in the shape of a USB adaptor that can actually work as a phone charger. It has the easiest set-up system – just plug in to a socket to start recording and unplug when you are done. To watch the video, the USB cable can be connected directly to the the computer to watch directly from the 128 GB SD card.
It has full HD 1080p video resolution with 30 fps, and a 90° viewing angle. It also has smart motion detector that starts recording only if motion is detected to save memory space. It has a loop record system that will overwrite the older videos if it runs out of space. It can also be attached to a power bank for on-the-go recording.
Features of IFITech 1080p HD Hidden Best Security Camera
- Product size is 10.6 x 10.6 x 4.2 cm and its weight is 99.8 g.
- It has a 128 GB SD card slot. SD card is not included and must be formatted using ‘GUI FORMAT’ in ‘FAT 32’ before use.
- The camera is 2 MP and does not have IR vision.
- It has 90° wide viewing angle and records both video and audio.
- Captured video resolution is 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- It can operate with any power source.
7. D3D D8801 HD 720P WiFi Home Security Camera 360 PTZ
When it comes to security, D3D remains the number one choice for world security. The D8801 not only provides cloud support on FTP server, but also allows live view from anywhere on your smartphone using the app. The phone must be Android or iOS to support it. Its pan-tilt action can also be controlled remotely via your phone. Not only that, the recordings can also be viewed on any NVR or DVR that has Onvif function.
It records clear 720p HD videos, even at night time with its 10 m ranged IR vision. Its motion sensor technology will send send email alert in case it detects motion. It will also upload alarm snapshot to FTP P2P through Wi-Fi connection. Video Chat with two way audio monitoring is also possible for use an nanny cam. It supports multiple users to view the live recording simultaneously.
Features of D3D D8801 HD 720P WiFi Home Security Camera 360 PTZ
- The size of the camera is 14 x 12 x 8 cm and its weight is 458 g.
- It has 128 GB digital storage capacity by MicroSD card.
- Its horizontal rotating angle is 355° and vertical angle is 90°.
- It can be run with Android, iOS or PC.
- It employs AI motion detection that can be taught to respond only to actual threats.
- Its power requirement is 5V and 2A.
- It has 720p HD video resolution and 5X digital zoom.
8. IFITech Set of 2 Foscam C1 Lite Indoor HD 720P Wireless IP Camera
The IFITech Foscam is primarily a daytime IP camera that comes in a set of 2 and is noted for its advanced networking capabilities in a lightweight model. It has a Plug & Play or P2P function with the ability to connect to smartphone simply by scanning the QR code on the camera. It has a wide 115° viewing angle and produces high quality HD videos with enhanced firmware features for smoother video running.
Its motion detectors will send a direct alert to you via email and upload the image to FTP It also has free local recording to SD card or hard drive storage, and free Foscam DDNS service for dynamic IP addresses for instant access. It allows remote viewing & recording of footage from anywhere on desktop computers with standard web browsers as well as on smart iOS or Android devices with installed Foscam app.
Features of IFITech Set of 2 Foscam C1 Lite Indoor HD 720P Wireless IP Camera
- The dimensions of the product is 7.6 x 9.7 x 14 cm and its weight is 136 g per piece.
- Its viewing angle is 115°
- Resolution of videos recorded is 1280 x 720 pixels.
- It provides both local SD card storage and cloud storage.
- It has motion detectors that will send email alerts and screenshot of video at the instant of motion.
- Its Wi-Fi connectivity bandwidth is 2.4 GHz
- It has a one-key online firmware update support.
- It supports setting according to your voice guidance from IPC.
- It has P2P feature for easy remote access.
9. Sricam Wi-Fi Wireless SP007 2MP 1080p Waterproof Outdoor Security Camera CCTV
Sricam, as is apparent by now, is quite a hit among Indian buyers and this outdoor IP camera is another proof of that. It has an absolutely weatherproof body, making it ideal for open-roof spaces. It records HD videos that can be stored in the 128 GB SD card(must be FAT32 formatted) for playback later on.
Not only that, if the camera is connected to the home Wi-Fi network or any internet connection, the recordings can be accessed from any device anywhere in the world. It obviously has IR vision that can record in the dark with in-built IR detectors. Motion detectors in the camera will send you an alarm if any motion is detected. All videos can be accessed via smartphone using the Sricam app.
Features of Sricam Wi-Fi Wireless SP007 2MP 1080p Waterproof Outdoor Security Camera CCTV
- The camera dimensions are 21.2 x 13.6 x 9.4 cm and weight is 649 g.
- It can be accessed via any internet-connected device like smartphone and computer and supports Android and iOS.
- It records 1080p videos.
- The camera has wireless Wi-Fi connectivity.
- It is IP66 weather-proof.
This D-Link camera is not exactly a hidden security cam, but it blends well with other house decor and can be camouflaged with discreet placement. with automatic upload of videos to mydlink cloud, there is no need of SD card at all. It stores unlimited content for free of the last 24 hours to view at your convenience. It may be small and compact in size, but it can pack a punch with 720p HD videos.
It is a day/night camera, with a viewing radius of 5 m at night. You will also get instant mobile alerts for any sound and motion detection. It has a wide 120° viewing angle so that nothing escapes its eye. It has both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity and can be easily accessed by myDlink app.
- The size of the camera is 2 x 3.7 x 3.8 cm and its weight is 277 g.
- Its video resolution is 720p.
- It has a viewing angle of 120°.
- These best security cameras have 4X digital zoom.
- It has both Bluetooth(4.0 and above) and Wi-Fi connectivity.
- It can be remotely accessed with live video and record download options via myDlink app.
Security cameras have become almost an integral part of home security systems besides alarm systems. They are reliable and not only give full assessment of threat, but also allows you to check up on your loved ones at home. Most security cams provide wireless connectivity and cloud storage, so there is hardly ever any risk that recordings would be lost to vandalism. Surveillance cameras have become much more smart nowadays and you can especially rely on any of the above blindly, according to your priorities.